Cardamom Brown Butter Cookies
- 1 cup (240g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.3g) ground cardamom*
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (100g) powdered sugar (+ 1/2 cup (50g) for coating)
1. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir frequently until it starts to turn golden brown. Yes, it will get foamy, don’t be alarmed. Remove from heat and pour into heat-resistant container and refrigerate about 30 minutes. If you have any dark brown bits, be sure to strain them out of the butter. Your butter will look like this if you’ve done it correctly:
|Yes, like beer.|
2. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas 4.
3. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well-combined. Add yolk, vanilla, and cardamom and continue to beat until well-mixed.
4. Gradually add flour at a low-speed until dough forms. (It may look crumbly in the beginning, but will become smooth when it’s ready.)
5. Scoop dough into 1″ balls and place 1″ apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.** Bake 10-12 minutes until the cookies are golden brown. It’s cool, the cookies are supposed to have cracks in them.
6. Leaving the cookies on the parchment paper, immediately transfer cookies from pan to cooling rack.
7. Put remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar into a bowl. Let cookies cool for a few minutes and roll them in powdered sugar. Let cool completely and roll in powdered sugar once more.
*No cardamom? Mix together 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
**If you don’t want to use parchment, put cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Currently listening to:
Slayer – Dead Skin Mask