Västerbottensostpaj (Cheese Pie)
Makes: Not sure. I split this with one other person. Maybe 8 normal servings?
Start to finish: An hour and a half
- (100g) unsalted COLD butter
- 1-2/3 cup (100g) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (36mL) ice COLD water
- (200g) Västerbottenost (cheese)*, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 7 ounces (2 dL) whole milk (or heavy cream…)
- salt & pepper, to taste (you don’t need much)
- To make pie dough, combine butter, flour, and salt in a food processor (pulse) or with a fork/pastry cutter until it is resembles a coarse meal. Do not overmix. Add water.
- Press dough into a 9 inch / 24 centimeter dish. (You don’t need to grease the dish. There’s plenty of butter in the dough.)
- Chill for about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F / 200° C / Gas 6.
- Remove pie dough from fridge, prick with fork. Bake for about 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you shred the cheese.
- One pie crust is cooled, sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Mix together milk, eggs, salt & pepper, and pour over cheese.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes, or until cheese is perfectly caramelized, brown, bubbly, but don’t burn it.
- Let it cool as long as you can stand it and put it in your mouth. Dayuuum. If you really want to take it to the next level, serve with fig spread, sea buckthorn berry preserves, or sautéed apples.
*Västerbottenost is made in northern Sweden. I made this while in Göteborg during summer of 2015. If you’re outside of Europe (specifically the Nordic countries), you will probably have a hard time finding Västerbottenost. Sometimes IKEA has it in stock. If not, Seaside Cheddar makes a legit substitute. If you’re into cheese, read more about Västerbotten here.
This recipe was adapted from Per Morberg.
Currently Listening To:
Ghost – Cirice
I know, I know…there’s an argument as to whether Ghost is an actual metal band or not. Personal opinion: they are not. I am generally against bands who put on an act, because I’ve always felt it’s to distract from the lack of talent. The bass line is hot as hell, though.
If you’re easily offended about religious things, don’t watch the video.