Jalapeño Bacon Chicken (and it’s crispy AF)
- 5-ish pound (2kg) chicken (don’t forget to take the giblet sack out of the cavity…)
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (into rounds or strips), seeds removed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 lime or ½ lemon, sliced into rounds
- drizzle of olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon (optional, <insert eye roll here>)
- Preheat to 425°F / 220°C / Gas 7.
- Place jalapeños between the skin and breast meat of the chicken. Gentle now, don’t rip it… (Use gloves if you want. I won’t tell anyone but I’ll silently judge.)
- Stuff chicken cavity with garlic, cilantro, lime/lemon and olive oil. (Again, giblet sack, make sure you take it out before you stuff.)
- Season the chicken adequately with salt and freshly ground black pepper. You don’t need a ton of salt if you’re using the bacon.
- Place stuffed chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan. If you don’t have a roasting pan, simply make some balls of tin foil to elevate the chicken just a touch. (My heart’s in exile, I need you to touch meh. I’ve been listening to W.A.S.P…)
- Lay the bacon strips on top of the chicken. They can overlap. (This process is called barding if you like to know things…)
- Put the chicken in the oven. After about 30 minutes, remove the bacon strips (let it get kind of crispy before you take it out-could take a little less or more time depending on thickness of bacon) with tongs or a fork. Continue cooking chicken for about another 15 minutes, then rotate pan, let it cook for another 35 minutes. To be absolutely sure it’s done, insert meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh. Temperature needs to hit 165° F / 74° C.
- Your house should be smelling badass by now. Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before carving. If you’re not into eating meat on the bone, you can also shred the meat and use it for BBQ or tacos (and smother the hell out of them with my Cashew Crema), among other things, but the skin is so perfectly crispy, you probably don’t want to miss out on it, at least the first time you make it.
Currently Listening To:
W.A.S.P. – Wild Child