Whisky Cherry Bombs
Makes: about 4 cups of liquid, 1.5 cups cherries
Start to finish: about 2 hours (includes chilling time)
- 1 cup (250mL) water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 árbol chiles (or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 cup (250mL) whisky
- 2 cups (340g) dark, sweet cherries (fresh or frozen, pits removed)
- Combine water, sugar, chiles (snap off the stems and shake out the seeds before you put them in the pot), cinnamon sticks (snap them in half), vanilla in a pot and bring to a strong simmer while frequently stirring.
- Remove from heat, mix in whisky.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then add cherries.
- Once cool, put cherries and liquid in an airtight glass container. The longer you can keep your grubby paws off the cherries and let them hang out, the better they get. Store in fridge for up to two weeks, but they won’t last that long, and neither will the spicy, cherry-infused whisky. So damn good. Mix 1 part of the whisky with 2 parts ginger beer for a killer drink. (Don’t forget to throw some of the cherries in there, too.) You can also reduce the whisky concoction, add a touch of rosemary and use it as a badass glaze for pork or roasted root vegetables.
Currently Listening To:
Churchburn – V