Makes: about 10 cakes
Start to finish (including soaking time): 4 hours, 45 minutes
- 1 cup (150g) cashews, soaked in 2 cups cold water, covered, leave at room temp
- 1/2 – 1 cup (118mL-235mL) water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo
- 2 cups shredded carrots (about 4-5 carrots)
- 1/3 cup (34g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (38g) coarsely ground cashews
- 1/2 cup (75g) diced onion (red, white, yellow, doesn’t matter)
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
1. Drain cashews.
2. Add all crema ingredients to blender, start on low speed and slowly increase, let it go until it’s smooth. Start with 1/2 cup water and keep adding more if you want a thinner consistency. If you’re using a conventional blender, this could take a few minutes. You’re looking for silky nutcream (heh), so don’t underblend and leave it gritty, unless you’re into that.
3. Store in a glass container. It’s best if you use it within 5 days. It’s pretty addictive, so it probably won’t last anyway.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas 4. Line baking sheet with parchment or foil. You don’t need to grease it. In a large bowl, combine all of the croquette ingredients.
5. Scoop the fritter mixture in about 1/4 cup portions onto the prepared baking sheet and give them a forceful, gentle smush. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Serve with crema.
Currently Listening To:
Entombed – The Winner Has Lost
Getting warmed up for the Amon Amarth / Entombed / Exmortus show in Boston this weekend…