Makes: 2-3 servings
Start to Finish: A little over an hour
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup hot sauce of choice (I generally use Frank’s Red Hot)
- Preheat oven to 450° F / 230°C / Gas 8. Spray a large baking sheet (you will probably need to use two so the cauliflower isn’t overcrowded) with cooking spray. (I suggest lining the sheets with foil before spraying unless you like having to scrub the shit out of a dish.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, water, garlic powder, salt and pepper. (The batter should be relatively runny.) Add cauliflower chunks and toss to coat. Remove chunks from the batter and spread ’em on baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 8 minutes, flip, and cook an additional 8 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter and hot sauce. Add baked cauliflower and toss to coat. Return cauliflower chunks to baking sheet. Place back in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy, flipping once about halfway through.
- (If you want an extra crisp, turn your broiler on high for 3-5 minutes, but keep an eye out so you don’t burn the shit.)
- Serve them straight up with dressing of choice, or in slider form.
*You can easily veganize (use vegan butter for the sauce) these or make them gluten-free (skip the batter, but still season with the garlic powder, salt, & pepper and some oil. Follow the remaining instructions as listed).
Currently Listening To:
Dimmu Borgir – Blood Hunger Doctrine