Latin Quinoa + Chimichurri Potatoes
Start to finish: about 1.5 hours
- 1 1/2 cups (375g) quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups (.75L) veggie broth (or water)
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1/2 cup (118mL) salsa of choice
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (to taste)
- 1/4 cup (59mL) fresh lime juice (juice from about 3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons (10g) cumin
- 1/2 bunch chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 pint (about 300g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-15 oz. (425g) can black beans, drained
- 2 avocados, pits removed and cut into chunks
- Over medium heat in a medium saucepan, toast quinoa until it begins to smell nutty (about 5 minutes). Add broth and salt and bring to a boil. Stir, reduce to low heat, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove pot from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, and fluff with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa, chipotles, adobo, lime juice cumin, and half of the cilantro.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked quinoa, cherry tomatoes, black beans, and avocado. Pour salsa mixture into the quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt/heat levels.
- Top with remaining cilantro and serve room temp, or chill.
- 1.5 pounds (750g) small potatoes, scrubbed (use Dutch or fingerling if available)
- 1/4 cup (60mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) salt
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley, firmly packed
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (optional)
- 4-6 cloves of garlic (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) chopped red onion
- 1/2 (118mL) cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (60mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15mL) lime juice (or to taste)
- Kosher salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas 6.
- Toss potatoes with olive oil and salt and dump on baking sheet and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, blend together Chimichurri ingredients in food processor or blender.
- When potatoes are done, toss with preferred amount of Chimichurri sauce and shove ’em down your gullet.